Théâtre de la Vie
The vast building, constructed in 1895 by builders Jean and Pierre Carsoel, was originally intended to serve as an “iron depot” for the Peters & Van Droogenbroeck metal fabrication firms, subsequently replaced by the Util company, a manufacturer of iron, cast iron, sheet metal and pipes, as can be seen from the sign painted on the metal lintel at the entrance. As well preserved as the exterior, the interior consists of a structure of metal girders and columns supporting a mezzanine. The arched cellars are also original. The complex was renovated in 1954 by the architect André Reineson.
In 1988, Théâtre de la Vie, founded in 1971, took up residence in the building. Since 2013, Peggy Thomas has been organising a programme of poetic theatre, favouring contemporary forms of theatre focusing on topical themes. In order to give a pluralist image of the artistic landscape, the venue plays host to theatre, dance and musical performances. The diversity in the styles of entertainment hosted at the venue reflects the wealth of artistic creativity that exists in French-speaking Belgium.