Vlaams Parlement (Flemish Parliament)
The Vlaams Parlement occupies two buildings connected to each by a tunnel. Since March 1996, all official meetings and receptions are held in the former Hôtel des Postes et de la Marine building, built in 1905 based on a design by Joseph Benoit. It was purchased by the Flemish Council in 1987 and extensively renovated.
The Flemish Chamber of Representatives has been the administrative centre of the Flemish Parliament since 11 July 2002. In this building, the impressive banking hall serves as a visitor centre, with a reception desk, café-restaurant and interactive digital exhibition on the functioning and history of the Flemish Parliament. During the period of operation of the postal cheques service, this banking hall was also used as a reception area for visitors. Victor Bourgeois’ design is a magnificent example of the new pragmatism of the 1930s-1940s. The building has therefore been included on the heritage conservation list of the Brussels-Capital Region.
In both buildings, the corridors, reception rooms, conference rooms and offices are decorated with works by renowned artists such as Guillaume Bijl, Fred Eerdekens, Jozef Legrand, Joaquim Pereira Eires, Panamarenko, Roger Raveel, Liliane Vertessen, Pjeroo Roobjee, Berlinde De Bruyckere and many others. (Listed 02/04/1998)
Self-guided marked route. Explanations along the way from guides and information panels (French, Dutch and English).
Accessible with assistance