Programme

Vincent restaurant

A. de Ville de Goyet © urban.brussels

Founded in 1905, the Vincent rotisserie is situated on the ground floor of an attractive neoclassical building created in 1834 from the reunion of two 17th-century houses. The wide wood-framed window and door on the right side of the building were installed by architect Maurice Grimme in 1913, while the façade on the left side, featuring a large sash window flanked by smaller windows with wooden muntins, was only completed in 1926, by architect C. Wenmaekers. In contrast, the interior space would only be viewed as a single, united whole in 1934, 100 years after the two former houses were originally joined. The resulting painted-tile decor is quite simply extraordinary. The ceramic tiles are manufactured by Berchem-Saint-Agathe/Sint-Agatha-Berchem firm Helman. Their originality and impeccable quality testify to the expertise of the master ceramicists of the early 20th century. The large paintings show landscapes and scenes from the Belgian coast: shrimp fishermen on horseback, a storm-tossed boat being buffeted by crashing waves, ducks soaring above flooded polders, cows in the pasture, and sheep in the dunes. The colours used for the murals vary from light pastel tones to bolder colours, according to the scene depicted. One of the restaurant’s rooms still has an old-fashioned oven and hood, a display area, a cutting table and a large bar area, all bedecked with ceramic tiling. (Listed since 20 September 2001)

Guided tours. In cooperation with Itinéraires, sur les Sentiers de l’Histoire.

sign-languageGuided tours in sign language in French, Sat. at 14:00 and Sun. at 16:00. In cooperation with Arts & Culture.

Practical information

Sat. & Sun., 10:00 to 18:00
Rue des Dominicains/Predikherenstraat 8-10, Brussels
M
1 5 Gare Centrale - Centraal Station
B
29 66 71 86 Arenberg
Non accessible

Non accessible