Quaker House (fully booked)
Architect Georges Hobé began construction work on a building in Square Ambiorix/Ambiorixsquare in 1898. As the plot was on one of the square’s corners, a special effort was required to ensure it blended in with its surroundings. With this in mind, Hobé embellished the façade’s corner with a bow window framed in white stone, topped off with a sloping slate roof, this ensemble being the only obvious decorative detail on an otherwise relatively sober façade. Hobé also designed the house’s interior, fitting colourful stained glass in the doors between rooms, lining the imposing staircase with wood panelling and laying elegant parquet flooring in the reception rooms. One of the main points of interest in the Quaker House is its wallpaper, all of which has been restored or reproduced following extensive stratigraphic analyses that made it possible to determine how it originally looked. Only the Japanese-style wallpaper, which had deteriorated too much to be saved, was replaced entirely. The new aluminium-based paper, which has the same dimensions as the original paper, was painted freehand by the restorer after analyses uncovered some of the original paper, allowing the most appropriate design and colours to be identified. Thanks to the restoration project, this particularly interesting part of Brussels’ built heritage was given a new lease of life. (Listed since 9 February 2006)
Guided tours Sat. at 10:30, 11:30, 12:30, 14:00, 15:00, 16:00 and 17:00 (French), 11:00, 12:00, 13:00, 15:30, 16:30 and 17:30 (Dutch). In cooperation with Quaker House and Klare Lijn.
Exhibition: The many colours of old wallpaper. The exhibition features the samples of original wallpaper used by the restoration/reproduction project to create the wallpaper found in the Quaker House today. It also includes technical information about how the wallpaper was restored/reproduced.
Sat. only, 10:00 to 18:00
Square Ambiorix/Ambiorixsquare 50, Brussels-Extensions
Guided tours only – advance booking required